- Mixing bowl
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 tbsp. raspberry vinegar
- 6 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 soft-shell crabs, prime grade, cleaned
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- Trim the stalks and feathery tops from the fennel. Cut the bulb in half from top to root. Slice into very thin slices.
- Combine the raspberry vinegar and olive oil; toss with the fennel. Correct the seasoning.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Dred the crabs in the seasoned flour; shake off excess flour.
- Heat oil over medium heat and cook garlic 1 minute.
- Add crabs to pan; add more oil if necessary. Cook until golden brown on both sides. When done, there should be very little or no oil left in the pan and the crabs should be covered with garlic and flour scrapings.
- Divide the fennel salad among 4 plates and top each salad with 1 crab.